If you play with fire.......

If you play with fire.......

Friday 3 December 2010

Easing in Gently

I was reading Marcko’s blog entry yesterday and it got me thinking. Just what is my strategy for Cataclysm? If the truth be told, I really don’t have any one in particular. An expression you’ll see me use regularly is “if you throw enough shite at a wall, some of it will stick”. My dabblings are in about 60-70% of the available markets out there and for the most part I have reaped some benefit from them all. Fingers have been burned from time to time but as the another old adage goes, “nothing ventured, nothing gained”.

I’m approaching Cataclysm with my eyes wide open. A strategy can have it’s uses but I genuinely believe that we have to go with the flow. A lot of what we want or wish to do in Cataclysm will depend hugely on supply for this first couple of weeks. If the supply is there, the next factor is the cost of that supply. In other words, I may have, at this particular moment in time, 3 transmutation specced alchemists ready and waiting for the Meta gem/ Truegold frenzy, but if the costs are prohibitive, then I will have to think on my feet, improvise and take it from there. We can all say we are going to do this that and the other but how far are we prepared to go to achieve this? I could spend 300k on mats the first few weeks, to fit in with my strategic needs, but is this sensible? I’m not entirely convinced that it is. Yes the likelihood is that these costs will be over-ridden by huge sales amounts, but by stopping, waiting and reviewing the situation on say to day basis, I could reduce my costs and still make lucrative profits down the line.

Ultimately my strategy is to “wait and see”, lurk in the shadows, suss out who is farming the first few weeks of the expansion, try to make a few deals and take it from there. The golden treasure is there for reaping, but there’s no rush. I’m in no hurry. And neither should you be.

No comments:

Post a Comment