If you play with fire.......

If you play with fire.......

Wednesday 1 December 2010

His Name was Grimble Gromble. Gnomeworks Addon.

I used to use Advanced Trade Skill Windows. When I first got into large scale crafting, this addon was my godsend allowing me to queue up items for production and to make it easier to remind me what I needed to bulk purchase from the auction house. Except I had a major problem with it.

Creating glyphs via ATSW was a painful experience. Excruciating to be precise. My framerate jumped from 50 to 40 to 30 right down to 1, sometimes zilch, zero, YOUR PC IS DOOOOOMED. I tried making glyphs in Ratchet to to be close to a bank. I tried making them very late at night. Nothing worked. Now admittedly I initially assumed this was just a downside of mass glyph production until I had a lightbulb moment. Why not research ATSW more and see if, heaven’s above, the addon was the problem itself. Oh the holy hand of Jesus, Mary, Joseph and all the saints of Ireland, why hadn’t I thought of this before? So damn simple at times am I.

ATSW caused a massive memory leak when creating glyphs, hence the catastrophic FPS and the inability to achieve anything in game during the crafting process. I couldn’t even type properly in any chat pane. So that was ditched without a moments thought. Then I discovered Skillet. I had read so much about this but never ventured towards it. Luckily I did, just prior to patch 4.0.1 and the festive feast of “Glyphmas”. Hundreds and thousands of glyphs were now crafted with a minimum of fuss and effort. The production line cranked along beautifully, hardly missing a beat with masses of glyphs rapidly filling up my two guild banks dedicated to the profession. And then it happened. TRAGEDY.

Skillet died after the patch. Kerputt. This addon has expired. Not resting. Dead. And only after discovering it too. So like a muppet I reloaded ATSW as I saw it had been updated after the patch. You would think that it’s most major fault would be fixed but no, not a hope in hell. A quick trawl through the internet later I came across this addon, developed by the maestro Lilsparky himself. It’s called Gnomeworks and so far, from a basic viewpoint it does to queuing, crafting, vendoring as required by an active gold-maker. It has a built in meter which lets you know when a tradeskill will change from orange to yellow to green when levelling, very handy in this dawn of Cataclysm and ultimately I believe the Lilsparky addon itself will be incorporated into the module. This will be verging on a perfect all in one addon for our professions. My own personal favourite niche is the ability to skip to another  craftable item in the queue easily if for some reason a calculation (personal) has been made in the materials required to be present in bags.

Now I’m an utter imbecile when it comes to how addons work and the code behind them, but this is certainly one which I will persist with to get to know very well throughout Cataclysm. I beleive it would well be that one stop shop we are all looking for.

As I learn more I will let ye know. And likewise, if you find out anything yourselves, then I would be grateful for new information.

And without resorting to google, who knows what the title reference is about? :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment